Myrtle Beach attracts tourists from all over the United States, with our gorgeous beaches and countless attractions drawing families from near and far. The sandy feet of visitors and locals alike traverse Ocean Boulevard at all hours – and the heavy pedestrian traffic can make driving tricky.
As a result, accidents with pedestrians are far too common. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one pedestrian is killed in a traffic accident every 88 minutes in the U.S. (2017 data). That’s over 6,000 pedestrian fatalities a year.
If you have been involved in a wreck, trust the car accident lawyers at David Taylor Law. Our law firm has handled a variety of auto accident cases that resulted in pedestrian injuries, and we are equipped to ensure you get the care – and the much-needed compensation – you deserve.
Why Pedestrian Car Accidents Happen
While every pedestrian crash case is unique, many are caused by one of the following scenarios:
- Distracted driving (texting, eating/drinking, etc)
- Drunk driving
- Poor weather conditions (rain, fog, etc)
- Failure to obey road signs (stop signs, yield signs, etc)
- Left-hand turns
- Backing up accidents
Can Pedestrians Be At Fault For the Accident?
Yes, a pedestrian can be at fault. Darting across a busy road outside of a crosswalk or simply not paying attention can result in an accident – or even a pedestrian fatality. Alcohol often factors into these devastating situations, with intoxicated pedestrians killed in traffic after making one poor decision.
Oftentimes pedestrians and drivers share the blame for a traffic crash. For instance, a pedestrian may fail to use a crosswalk and get hit by a distracted driver. Both parties acted negligently and therefore, both shoulder the blame. No matter who is responsible, it is important to have an experienced Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer on your side.
Driving Safety Tips for Busy Streets
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has provided these safe driving tips to prevent pedestrian car accidents:
- Watch for pedestrians at all times, especially near crosswalks, busy intersections or school zones.
- Avoid distractions and practice defensive driving.
- Never drive while under the influence.
- Use extra caution when driving in low visibility conditions and at night.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Never pass a vehicle that’s stopped at a crosswalk, even if you don’t see anyone crossing.
- Obey the speed limit and other road signs.
- Always wear your seat belt and ensure child car seats are properly installed.
- Back up slowly, continuously checking to see if a pedestrian has entered your path.
- Make safe left-hand turns by looking both ways before pulling out and always use your turn signal.
H5: What to Do If You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident with a pedestrian, follow these steps:
- Call 911 immediately.
Once first responders are on the way, move to a safe place if possible.
- Get medical treatment.
Even if you don’t require emergency medical care, be sure to visit your doctor as soon as possible to get checked out. If problems arise down the road, it is important to have your visit documented.
- Exchange information.
Record the name, contact information and insurance details of everyone involved.
- Contact a car accident lawyer.
Avoid speaking directly to the insurance company. The statement you make could be used against you.
Your Myrtle Beach Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a pedestrian crash, call David Taylor Law. Our experienced team will work hard to secure the damages you deserve, including compensation for medical bills, vehicle damage and pain and suffering.
Our car accident attorneys are here to help, so call today to schedule your free consultation. And please keep these driving safety tips in mind next time you hit the road!